L. Franklin Gruber

 

Levi Franklin Gruber (May 13, 1870-December, 1941) was born near Reading, Pennsylvania and educated at Neff College, Philadelphia, Keystone State Normal School [called Kutztown State College since 1928 and now know as Kutztown University of Pennsylvania], Muhlenberg College, Allentown, and the Lutheran Theological Seminary at Philadelphia. He served pastorates in Utica, New York, and in Minneapolis and St. Paul, Minnesota. He was president of the Chicago Lutheran Theological Seminary at Maywood, Illinois, from 1926-1941.

His publications include:  The Wittenberg Originals of the Luther Bible; Whence Came the Universe?; The Six Creative Days; What After Death?; The First English New Testament and Luther; Documentary Sketch of the Reformation; The Einstein Theory.

After his death, his widow Amelia L. Gruber sold his collection of rare books and manuscripts to the Maywood Seminary.  From there they were transferred to the Lutheran School of Theology at Chicago, when Maywood and other Midwest seminaries were merged to form this new seminary in Hyde Park, near the University of Chicago.

 

The following numbers are extant in this collection (note that some numbers occur more than once and some numbers are omitted):

 

2-6, 7, 7, 9, 11, 11, 12-14, 16, 16 (12), 17, 19, 20, 21 (duplicate is not numbered), 22-27, 28, 28, 29-35, 37, 37, 38, 38, 39, 40-44, 46, 48-56, 58-73, 75-88, 89, 89, 90, 92-105, 107-112, 114, 117-125, 127-135, 136, 136, 137, 137, 138, 138, 139-143, 145-147, 148, 148, 149-153, 154a, 154-161, 162, 162, 163-166, 168-171, 173-179, 182-185, 189, 189, 189, 189, 189, 189, 189, 190-213, 217-229, 243-248, 250-256, 260 x 8, 262.  There are also nine unnumbered items in the Gruber inventory prepared by Tedeschi ca. 1980.   

This website also incorporates rare Reformation items that were catalogued in the Maywood library.

 

Works by Gruber

Gruber, L. Franklin. The First English New Testament and Luther. The Real Extent to which Tyndale was Dependent Upon Luther as a Translator. Burlington, IA: The Lutheran Literary Board, 1928.